The Marine Biome
1. What percentage of the Earth is covered by
the marine biome?
2. What are the three main ecosystems of the
3. What is the approximate salinity of the
4. What is the average depth of the ocean, the
5. Describe the conditions of the intertidal
6. What are some of the adaptations of the
animals in this zone?
7. List some of the animals of this zone.
8. Define a barrier island and tell where most
are located in the United
9. What benefit do the dunes provide to the
10. What is the main force that the animals of
rocky shores must be
able to withstand?
11. Name the main animals that live in the
12. Describe the water conditions in
13. Name and describe the two important
functions estuaries provide to
14. Explain why salt marshes are productive
15. What common condition exists in estuaries,
salt marshes, mud
flats, and mangrove forests?
16. Explain adaptations animals have made in
order to survive the
changing conditions in these
ecosystems due to the tides.
17. What is the dominant flora of the
mangroves and why is it so
important to protect this ecosystem?
18. Click on the "Tide Predictions for the US"
link and answer the two
questions posed above the link.
19. List the three factors that determine the
size of a wave.
20. Explain how the different densities of
water help replenish
oxygen in the ocean.
1. Name the five main "oceans" and give their
relative size and location in
comparison to each other.
2. What is the difference between a "sea" and
3. Name the two horizontal zones of the ocean
and name the main
factor that distinguishes each zone.
4. Contrast the neritic and oceanic zones.
5. What is the main process of food production
that occurs in the
euphotic zone and explain why most organisms live
within this zone.
6. What process do organisms of the aphotic
zone use to obtain energy?
7. Explain how the layers of the marine forest
are similar to a rainforest.
8. Explain the importance of phytoplankton to
the marine food chain.
9. Explain how the ocean "refreshes" itself.
10. Why is overfishing our oceans so dangerous
and how can we prevent
11. What is a coral reef, how much area of the
ocean do they comprise,
and how many species live within
12. How does a coral reef regenerate itself?
13. What make a coral reef hard?
14. Name the countries and continents where
most coral reefs are found
and describe the climatic conditions that
are common to all reefs?
15. Describe the threats to coral reefs.
16. Name five animals and their adaptations
that allow them to thrive
within coral reefs.
Due to the favorable conditions of coral reefs, they
are highly diverse.
Click on the links at the bottom of the present page
to explore the many interesting flora and fauna.
The Ocean Deep
17. Describe the location of the abyssal zone.
18. Name and explain the five physical
conditions that characterize this
19. Why do most deep sea animals live near
(click on the hydrothermal vent communities link and
observe the video)
20. What are some of the adaptations of the
animals of this zone?